29 May 2013

"Give generously"?

Just read, within the acknowledgement section of a book, "... some of the proceeds of this book will go to helping my {4} supportive children pay off their student fees. Please give generously." And it amazes me.
One can't place the 'burden' of raising one's own children on over people! Surely, this is something one has to think about when one wants children: How will I raise them? Can I reasonably  say that I have the means to raise my children?
Nobody forced her to have children, and 4 of them on top of that!

It makes me think about a friend of mine who has 5 children (5! in Western Europe, in the 21st century? on an already over-populated planet?). I love her dearly, but I think she is mad!
And I have to say that I can't sympathise very much when she complains about how she has had to increase the size of her house or of her car to accommodate the whole lot!
Or when she comments that her colleagues (some of them childless) avoid winging about how tiring their weekend was when she starts detailing how she spent hers  running from one place to another, trying to fit her children's activities, with shopping, tiding, cleaning and other chores..
I wonder if one of them ever told her just that, that nobody said she had to have 5 kids, and that now, she just had to deal with it.
Without expecting much sympathy, and without winging if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment